Ministry of Public Buildings & Works (MPBW) - internal staff cap badge (1960's). A rare badge
Postage is extra.
For sale is a rare badge of the Ministry of Public Buildings & Works (MPBW). This cap badge would have been worn as part of the uniform by their internal staff, such as door-security guards and messengers. The nearest Irish equivalent of the MPBW would be the Office of Public Works.
The MPBW was a British civil service department established in 1943 as the Ministry of Works to organise the requisitioning of property for wartime use. After the war, the Ministry retained responsibility for Government building projects, their maintenance as well as accommodation for Ministries and their staff.
In 1962 the Ministry of Works was renamed as the MPBW and from April 1963 it was reorganised and enlarged with additional responsibilities covering national monuments and heritage buildings, science research facilities and the Royal Naval Works Department (Armed Services), procurement, etc. In 1970, the MPBW was absorbed into the Department of the Environment and from 1972 much of its former responsibilities were transferred to the Property Services Agency (PSA). The MPBW also published a large range of information booklets and guides relating to Britain's national monuments, heritage buildings and archaeological excavations.
Size: 1 3/16" x 1 3/8" (29mm x 35mm).
Material(s): Brass metal with 2 vitreous enamels.
Fitting: 2 lugs & a split-pin.
Imprint: BUTLER 48 VITTORIA ST BIRMINGHAM....Trading as 'T. A. Butler & Company Ltd' of Birmingham and Manchester. Established by Thomas Alfred Butler in 1927, the company was dissolved around the mid-1970’s.
Approximate age: 1962 - c.1965.
An excellent condition metal and enamel badge. No damage, full gilt, pin tight and in good working order.
Please see photograph(s), these form part of the description.
* Postal costs are extra, additional to the Asking Price
* I always get a proof-of-posting certificate.
* I combine postal costs for multiple items when these are paid for AND posted at the same time. The combined postal cost will depend on the package size and weight. Please contact me before payment to arrange this.
* Return accepted if the item(s) is returned in same condition it left me, then the full Agreed Asking Price will be refunded. Postal costs are not refundable.
* Buyer pays the return postal costs - unless agreed otherwise.