The Harvard Classics Deluxe Edition
The Harvard Classics collection.
The Harvard Classics is an anthology of classic works from world literature, compiled and edited by Harvard University president Charles W. Eliot and first published in 1909.
Eliot had stated in speeches that the elements of a liberal education could be obtained by spending 15 minutes a day reading from a collection of books that could fit on a five-foot shelf. The publisher P. F. Collier and Son saw an opportunity and challenged Eliot to make good on this statement by selecting an appropriate collection of works, and the Harvard Classics was the result.
1. The Odyssey of Homer
2. The Apology, Phaedo and Crito by Plato / The Golden Sayings by Epictetus / The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
3. The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri
4. Elizabethan Drama: Edward II / Hamlet / King Lear / Macbeth / The Tempest
5. Don Quixote of the Mancha, part 1 by Cervantes
6. The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan / The Lives of Donne and Herbert by Izaak Walton
7. Edmund Burke: On Taste / On the Sublime and Beautiful / Reflections on the French Revolution / A Letter to a Noble Lord
8. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin / The Journal of John Woolman / Fruits of Solitude by William Penn
9. Stories from The Thousand and One Nights (Edward William Lane & Stanley Lane-Poole)
10. The Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin
11. Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana, Jr.
12. Prefaces and Prologues to Famous Books
13. English Poetry, Volume I: From Chaucer to Gray
14. English Poetry, Volume II: From Collins to Fitzgerald
15. English Poetry, Volume III: From Tennyson to Whitman
16. English Essays: From Sir Philip Sidney to Macaulay
17. Essays: English and American
18. American Historical Documents 1000–1904
Published by P. F. Collier & Son
Deluxe Registered Edition
Very Good condition — cover material cracked on a couple of volumes.
€65 (can post at buyers expense) or pick up Ballinasloe