- http://a1.amlimg.com/YTY5NDM0ZTRkOGJiZTliMGVmOWJiZGZjY2U3ZjFlNWIXLR7ut4Q_AMlikixy8PAxaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNjQ5Y2I4OGZlNDY4MzI1OTc3YzdmOWNkN2UxMjM0ZDJiNGRmZTdjNGFjNzdkZWQzOWU1OGU2Yjg0OTQyNGVkZC5qcGd8fHx8fHwxMzB4MTMwfHx8aHR0cDovL2F2YXRhcnMuYWRzaW1nLmNvbS9kZWZhdWx0LWNvbXBhbnkucG5nfA==.jpg TheJournal.ie http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/thejournal/ TheJournal.ie
- HR Contact:
- HR Manager
- Dublin 8, Co.Dublin Dublin 8, Dublin
- 2012-01-06 09:43:14 4 years ago
- Ad Views:
Description (last update: 4 years ago)
|Industry:||IT / Programming|
|Employment Type:||Permanent Full Time|
TheJournal.ie is Ireland’s fastest growing news and entertainment website. It was set up in September 2010 and is part of the Distilled Media Group (Daft.ie, Boards.ie, Adverts.ie, BoardsDeals.ie)
Since our launch we have racked up:
- 800,000 monthly unique visitors
- Over 110,000 people on Facebook subscribe to our news feed
- 25,000 Twitter followers
- 100,000 people every month read the news on the go with TheJournal.ie Android and iOS Apps.
We have a team of 20 journalists producing stories 7 days a week. In order to keep up with the continuing expansion of our traffic and our journalistic team we are recruiting a Software Developer to help us build our product and maintain a rock-solid platform.
TheJournal.ie uses WordPress as its CMS system. WordPress is not known for its scalability, so we have abstracted out the front end via a JSON API and with the help of Memcache, eAccelerator, Nginx and Amazon EC2, have managed to handle the huge increases in traffic over the last few months.
In 2012 we expect to grow at an even faster rate than 2011 and we are looking for a top-class Software Developer to join the team and help bring us all the way to the number 1 news site in Ireland.
Overall we are looking for an all-rounder who is willing to get their hands dirty with the code and really get under the hood of the current system. You must be a first-class programmer who also has a good feeling for product design and usability.
- Minimum 2.1 BSc/MSc Computer Science/Computer Engineering (or related degree)
- A good working knowledge of at least one high level programming language required: e.g. C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby
- A good working knowledge of SQL is required. --- Any experience with MySQL in particular would be beneficial
- Any experience with Linux/Unix would be beneficial
- A good understanding of what users want and the ability to produce and recognize easy-to-use software
- Experience doing social integration with Facebook and Twitter would be beneficial.
WordPress experience would be nice, but not 100% necessary
- Android and/or iOS experience would be beneficial, but not necessary
We can offer an exciting start-up environment and the support you need to build world-class products.
Salary will be flexible depending on experience
This is a permanent full-time position
Closing date for applications: Monday 30th January 2012
**CVs without cover letters will not be considered**
We do not accept CVs from recruitment agencies
Please include in your cover letter examples of products/projects that you worked on that you are particularly proud of. Feel free to include links to websites, blogs, github projects.
Tips when applying for a job
- Always add a cover letter
- Check both cover letter and CV for spelling mistakes
- Research the Company and prepare some questions
- Read our applying for a Job online safety guidelines